This is a list of episodes Death Note anime series contained 37 episodes divided into 2 seasons. It was directed by Tetsurō Araki and animated by Madhouse.
The series was based on the manga series written by Tsugumi Ohba and illustrated by Takeshi Obata, and primarily centers around high school student Light Yagami, who decides to rid the world of evil with the help of a supernatural notebook titled Death Note that causes the death of anyone whose name is written in it.
The Death Note anime began airing in Japan on October 3, 2006, and finished its run on June 26, 2007, totaling 37 twenty-minute episodes. The series aired on the Nippon Television network "every Tuesday at 24:56".
In North America, the series has been licensed by Viz for residents in the United States to use "Download-to-Own" and "Download-to-Rent" services while it was still airing in Japan. This move is seen as significant because it marks the first time a well known Japanese anime property will be made legally available to domestic audiences for download to own while the title still airs on Japanese television. The downloadable episodes contain the original Japanese audio track and English subtitles, and is available through IGN's Microsoft Windows-only Direct2Drive service. DVDs of the series are also being released, containing both an English dubbed audio track, produced by The Ocean Group, and the original Japanese audio track with optional English subtitles. Viz announced at Anime Expo 2007 that the first DVD was officially released on November 20, 2007, in both regular and special editions, and also confirmed at Comic-Con International 2007 that the first 15,000 copies of each DVD contains collectible figures.
Death Note was slated to make its North American television premiere in Canada on YTV's Bionix programming block on September 7, 2007. However, the show was removed from the schedule at the last minute. The Canadian premiere was pushed back to October 26, 2007, at 10:00 p.m., when it finally premiered. Death Note premiered in the U.S. on October 20, 2007, at 11:30 p.m. on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. The show also streams online for free on Adult Swim Video, with a new episode uploaded every Saturday afternoon, on the day of its broadcast premiere. Death Note has also been aired by the anime television network Animax across its respective networks worldwide, including Hong Kong and Taiwan.
List of episodes
- New World
The anime series closely follows the original storyline of the first seven volumes of the manga (L's arc) then rushes significantly through Mello and Near's arc by accentuating many action scenes and skipping monologues or long discussions between characters described in the final 5 volumes of the manga series. There are also a few changes on the character designs, adapted by Masaru Kitao, and the order of facts, as well as a few additional scenes not featured in the original manga. It is also set in the year 2007, instead of starting at the year 2003.
A three-hour animated Death Note Rewrite: The Visualizing God (called Death Note Relight: Visions of a God in the American release) TV special aired on Nippon Television in Japan on August 31, 2007, at 8:03 PM. It is a recap which takes place after the series end, where a Shinigami approaches Ryuk in the Shinigami Realm in order to learn more about the human world. Instead, Ryuk tells him of all the events leading up to the Mello and Near arc, about Light Yagami and his rival L. Originally, this special was advertised as a retelling told from Ryuk's point of view, but it doesn't give a different point of view than what was originally told. However, it contains updated dialog, as well as a few new scenes, including an alternate ending.
On August 22, 2008, at 9:03 pm, a second Rewrite special was aired, this one recounting the second half of the series. Unlike the first, it contains notably more in the way of updates, namingly that the mafia plot is omitted - Light's meetings with Kiyomi Takada and Teru Mikami are moved to earlier than occurred in the manga and anime, and they are instead the ones to kill the SPK.
The following volumes have been released in Japan.
- Death Note Volume 1 - Episodes 1-3 (Disc Cover Light Yagami)
- Death Note Volume 2 - Episodes 4-6 (Disc Cover L)
- Death Note Volume 3 - Episodes 7-9 (Disc Cover Ryuk)
- Death Note Volume 4 - Episodes 10-12 (Disc Cover Misa Amane)
- Death Note Volume 5 - Episodes 13-15 (Disc Cover Rem)
- Death Note Volume 6 - Episodes 16-18 (Disc Cover Light Yagami)
- Death Note Volume 7 - Episodes 19-21 (Disc Cover L)
- Death Note Volume 8 - Episodes 22-24 (Disc Cover Ryuk)
- Death Note Volume 9 - Episodes 25-27 (Disc Cover Light Yagami and L)
- Death Note Volume 10 - Episodes 28-30 (Disc Cover Near)
- Death Note Volume 11 - Episodes 31-33 (Disc Cover Mello)
- Death Note Volume 12 - Episodes 34-35 (Disc Cover Teru Mikami and Kiyomi Takada)
- Death Note Volume 13 - Episodes 36-37 (Disc Cover Light Yagami)
The following volumes have been released in North America.
- Death Note Volume 1 - Episodes 1-4 (Disc Cover Light Yagami)
- Death Note Volume 2 - Episodes 5-8 (Disc Cover L)
- Death Note Volume 3 - Episodes 9-12 (Disc Cover Ryuk)
- Death Note Volume 4 - Episodes 13-16 (Disc Cover Misa Amane)
- Death Note Volume 5 - Episodes 17-20 (Disc Cover Rem)
- Death Note Volume 6 - Episodes 21-24 (Disc Cover Ryuk)
- Death Note Volume 7 - Episodes 25-28 (Disc Cover Near)
- Death Note Volume 8 - Episodes 29-32 (Disc Cover Mello)
- Death Note Volume 9 - Episodes 33-37 (Disc Cover Teru Mikami and Kiyomi Takada)